Mention the limitations of Rutherford’s model of atomic structure. Also, mention the merits of it.
Limitations of the Rutherford model:
- It could not explain the distribution of electrons in an atom.
- It could not explain the stability of atoms with multiple electrons.
- It could not explain the spectra of atoms with more than one electron.
Merits of Rutherford model:
- It introduced the concept of a central, positively charged nucleus in an atom.
- It provided evidence for the existence of atomic particles such as protons and neutrons.
- It allowed for the understanding of nuclear reactions and the transmutation of elements.